Thursday 31 March 2011

Frustrations!

Spotted in a Neuropathy topic on a general forum; three short reactions that seem so familiar. They just seem to emphasize what a lottery it is regarding getting the right doctor, the right diagnosis and the right treatment.

1) "Hi I’m 37, and I’ve been suffering for a long time. Last summer it got much worse. I got pain in the bottoms of my feet. mainly the bottom of my heels.
Wanted to do things but found it was just too hard to walk. Next my legs started hurting, on an upward motion.
my knees and elbows broke out with what seemed like hives. once they finally healed they were stained a light red. Also the pain had moved up my back, I got a stiff neck that would not go away for like 2 months. Also my hands had started to tingle, with a burning numbing pain. Broke down and went to my doctor, money is really tight since I can’t work. She gave me tramadol, and got me an appt. w/h a rheumatologist, scheduled 4 months away… In mid december, i could not stop throwing up, my hot/ cold sweats were happening several an hour. I then started incontinence, a few times.
After 5 hrs of feeling like dying, it quit, but my whole arm was now numb (right)
So i went to the er, they did a ct, said everything looked ok. But he gave me 300 neurontin, 3 times a day. and told me to keep taking the tram, for pain. for what good it does.
Blood tests revealed there was an inflammation in my body, but when finally getting to the rheum. she said that I was fine, and acted like i just wanted disability. She did not believe that everywhere she touched me it hurt.
She told me to go back to my own dr. it was her problem, she’d just have to try different things until something works.
I left there in tears, after waiting 4mos, i get 4 minutes of her time. I am so depressed, and I go for two days without sleeping. and not knowing whether i’m going to die or what. I now am waiting for a neurologist apt, later this month. I pray to God and all that is mighty that someone can and will help all of us who has this dreadful illness.. I now can’t lift my left arm any further than my chest. i can’t do much at all with it. I feel so helpless. not even knowing what is wrong, but atleast now after reading all these stories, i know that i’m not alone."
livingwith

2) "I feel the same as you I am depressed and hopeless Everyone thinks I am lying when I say this is pain Sometimes if I step on my feet too hard it triggers the pain When im overheated My hands turn fire red. It has spread from my feet to my legs now my arms and hands Also my back and now I suffer from incontinence. I am only 25 years old and I know what you mean about the neurontin I also take that Its like the doctor said here take this itll hold it off for a while after that you are on your own. I take Lyrica and neurontin I also take zoloft they say for my pain but I think she thinks im depressed which i am but havent admitted it to her. This makes you hate life or at least me. Whats the joy if you are always in pain???"
imlicious

3) "Don't lose hope. It has taken me since 2003 to find a great neuro. & internist but we are finding out what is wrong. Raynauds, Hughes Syndrome, pre-diabetes and epilepsy. The internist thinks I may have Lupus too. There's chronic pain, fatique, wide spread muscle spasms, nerve pain (stabbing, burning, numbness) Sun sensitivity, hands and feet are on fire with exposure. Burn with spf 45 and red cheeks that has blisters when in sun. Times I have been unable to walk (pain in buttocks), unable to move leg to walk, finger moving on own and seizures. A doctor that will listen will help you. I cried alot and everyone wanted to say it was depression. When I stopped getting emotional and made light of it by laughing and making jokes I was taken seriously. I know it's scary. Nothing funny about it."
AllySid

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome but advertising your own service or product will unfortunately result in your comment not being published.