Sunday 24 March 2013

Topiramate For Neuropathy

Today's post from the always reliable Drugs.com (see link below) talks about user reviews of Topiramate (brand name Topamax), which is an anticonvulsant (antiepilepsy) drug used to treat neuropathy. The reviews are not extensive and not really up to date, which is why this post asks for your input. The article suggests that it's only prescribed for diabetic neuropathy but actually, it's widely prescribed for all neuropathies showing the same symptoms. Drugs.com is always a trustworthy source for information about any drugs you may take and is worth adding to your favourites, especially when you are taking multiple drugs for different conditions.
If you are taking Topiramate, or have taken it in the past, please share your experiences for the benefit of others, especially in comparison with other anticonvulsant drugs prescribed for neuropathy.


User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care.

Learn more about Topiramate.


Reviews for Topiramate to treat Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy


Review by Anonymous: User Rating: 10 August 14, 2010 6:31 PM

Topamax (topiramate): I was diagnosed with trauma induced neuropathy in my left heel following an injury that became infected, developed cellulitis and an ulcer. It took 2 months of intensive treatment for my foot to heal but about 3 weeks after I returned to work, I started experiencing sharp, electrical type pain in my heel. It was excruciating. My doctor prescribed Neurontin at first but I was not able to tolerate it. I was switched to Topamax and within a day, I had full relief and since then, I have been pain free. Yes, I am a juvenile diabetic but I had never had problems with my feet until this happened. The neuropathy is confined to my left heel only. Topamax is the best. The side effects are minimal but even if they weren't, it's worth it to be pain free.

 Review by gkbiddle: User Rating: 9.0 November 11, 2009 9:54 AM

Topamax (topiramate): Topamax has helped my diabetic nerve damage more than any other drug that my doctor has prescribed for me, and it does not have all the other nasty side effects, including the weight gain. I get enough of that from the insulin. I love taking the Topamax. I'm on a low dose (25 mg) but it sure has helped me.

 Review by Anonymous: User Rating: 9.0 August 1, 2009 8:04 PM

Topamax (topiramate): After having developed neuropathy post surgery I was suffering daily. I had tried Neurontin with little relief and was prescribed Topamax initially at 25mg. Over the last 6 years I've been titrated up to 300 mg and can tell you that this drug has helped tremendously. Initially I had common side effects, difficulty finding words, I lost weight about 20 pounds, and found that I had some tingling in my hands and feet. These issues generally resolved in time or I have just grown accustomed to them. For anyone who initially has issues with the side effects try and stick with the medicine for a little bit unless totally intolerable, it gets better.

 Review by Anonymous: User Rating: 7.0 June 19, 2009 11:26 PM

topiramate: I was recently prescribed topiramate 25 MG tablet for neuropathy caused by type 2 diabetes. I can not find any other place on here where this drug was prescribed for neuropathy, but so far it appears to be helping.

http://www.drugs.com/comments/topiramate/for-diabetic-neuropathy.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome but advertising your own service or product will unfortunately result in your comment not being published.