Thursday 13 June 2013

Neuropathy's Many Moods

Today's post from myneuropathyandme.blogspot.com (see link below) is a convincing personal story of living with the pain and discomfort of neuropathy. I'm sure many people will be able to identify with this lady's experiences. Sharing problems like this help to avoid isolation and the feeling that you are alone fighting your disease.

The Many Moods of Neuropathy
Posted by Tracy Love Saturday, June 8, 2013


I am a Latter-day Saint (Mormon) and the polygamy question comes up quite often, especially in the last Presidential race. First, let me say the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not practice polygamy. We did over 100 years ago, but again, we do not practice it now. There are some that do proclaim they are Mormons and are practicing polygamy. They are not Mormons and have been excommunicated from the church for doing so.

Now that’s cleared up, let me tell you that between my husband and I we get asked the polygamy question a lot. How many wives does your husband have? If you ask me, I would say one, if you ask my husband he would say “it depends on how many moods she is in!"

Small Fiber Neuropathy has created many moods for me. The the mood of pain, anger, depression, isolation, rejection, acceptance,gratitude and strength, are just a few of the moods I have been in over the year. Some days I might only have one mood, some days I can have two, three or all of them. Over the course of my life, I have had curve balls thrown at me. It even seems that one curve ball after another came my direction and I couldn't get out of the way fast enough and SMACK!

I didn't have a happy childhood, so life back then wasn't easy. But as I got older I was led to believe that things were going to be easy for me, in which they were. I was married, having babies, we bought a home(s), we adopted some stray animals, debt was minimal, and life seemed to be running smoothly. I guess I'd never really known pain up close and personal, except for the labor pains of having three children. No problem was too big to overcome. In fact, on my desk is a plaque that reads “Perseverance: The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it.” I actually bought that plaque when I was trying to lose 170lbs, which I did in the course of four years. I needed a little reminder to keep going when the weight wasn't coming off quickly enough. I became active as the weight came off. I was running, walking, hiking, life was wonderful and full of opportunities. I even became a Weight Watcher Leader helping others lose the unwanted pounds. My life was running smoothly, until a series of unexpected pitches came my way that shattered my impression of this so called easy life. I got struck with an incurable illness that wreaks havoc on my body day and night. I cry in pain, get angry at this illness that has taken over my body. Every day is another mood for me and my husband, poor guy, he never knows who he's going to meet in the morning.

I have been accused of wearing many hats; I can do many different things. I guess I hate being monotonous in life, so I try my hand at something different just to make life more entertaining. So now instead of just wearing many different hats, I'm also putting on many different moods. In one of my earlier posts I wrote about wearing masks. Click Here to read that entry. These masks make it easier on the other person, not me. I try to make someone else feel better, so I don’t let them know how bad I’m feeling, hence the mask. But Small Fiber Neuropathy or any Chronic Illness for that matter, can cause a person to have many different moods all in one day. Therefore, we are so many people in one body...I guess you could say I have a multiple personality with this disease.

The saying “That which does not kill us makes us stronger,” is true. We are all given challenges in this life. My challenge is being diagnosed with a chronic illness, but this challenge has also given me strength that I never knew I had. I have come out on the other side of darkness and found that I am stronger, wiser and more compassionate, especially to those that are using the motor carts at the grocery store. I don’t know the pain they’re in, so my compassion has grown for them. I guess you could say that adversity has made me who I am today. In times of trials, we either cling to the boat or sink to the bottom of the ocean. Trials and triumphs are what make life interesting; overcoming the trials and enjoying the victory of a triumph is meaningful. Any trial in life, big or small is hard to go through, but attitude is really the key to whether we allow the trial to defeat us or not. I know that living with a chronic illness is hard to explain to others who have no idea of the daily struggles we face. Feeling pain, feeling sick, feeling awful on the inside while looking perfect on the outside (or at least I try to). Putting on a brave face for everyone is hard. Bravery, now that’s just one more mood we who are living with chronic illness have to bear.

I still have bad days. Some days are more bad than good, but I try not sink to the bottom of the ocean. Instead, I want to swim to land and climb the mountain and make the best of what I've been given. Since my diagnosis, I'm not as active as I used to be and medications, plus steroids have put weight back on, but I've learned to expect the unexpected. Life is not meant to be easy, but it is so worth it. One of my favorite song is by Miley Cyrus called “The Climb” It's not about the mountains (trials) in front of us, it's about the climb.

http://www.myneuropathyandme.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome but advertising your own service or product will unfortunately result in your comment not being published.