Monday 30 April 2012

Celebs With Neuropathy Hard To Find

Finding well-known people who also have neuropathy is like searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack. Today's extract from a neurocentre.com (see link below) page shows two people who may be better known to Brits than elsewhere in the world. Norman Wisdom was a famous comic actor (incredibly popular in Albania of all places) and  Warren Mitchell played the notorious Alf Garnett in the 70's (way too politically incorrect for 2012 but funny at the time). They have given their support over the years to the Neuropathy Trust. Unfortunately Sir Norman Wisdom has now died and we could really do with a few more celebrity role-models, so if you know of anyone, please let us know. That organisation is a very well known independent neuropathy charity that operates across the world.


What is the Neuropathy Trust?

The Neuropathy Trust is a worldwide Charity (1071228) that was founded in 1998 by Andrew Keen to provide a lifeline to people affected by Peripheral Neuropathy (PN) and Neuropathic Pain (NeP). It is the primary function of the Trust to ensure, irrespective of the cause of the peripheral neuropathy or neuropathic pain (whether known or otherwise) that patients, family, carers and health care providers receive the highest possible level of information and support. The Neuropathy Trust is independent of any government, political ideology, economic interest or religion
Well Known Supporters

Warren Mitchell

“About twenty years ago a virus attacked the nerves in my spine, leaving me temporarily paralysed from the waist down. I was working on a film in Australia at that time and, although I discharged myself from hospital in order to carry on working, those were some of the toughest days in my life. Although I couldn’t stand or move around during a scene, for example, the film-crew propped me up and gave me every help so that we could carry on filming. Afterwards I went back to hospital in Sydney and had lots of physiotherapy for two weeks. I was very fortunate because I was soon walking again and within six weeks I was tap dancing on another film set. I have, however, been left with residual neurological effects which do trouble me greatly. My feet, for example, really do feel as if they are sometimes going to explode; at times they are burning and other times freezing cold. I also have strange tingly sensations in my legs and a degree of spasticity because my nervous system has been damaged permanently. After my article appeared in the paper the Neuropathy Trust sent me some information and I know there are lots of you out there who are in a far worse condition than myself. I am lucky that my dear wife Connie is so supportive and allows me one self-pitying moan per week. It is reassuring to know that doctors and scientists the world over are now working hard, trying to find ways to overcome the damage to nervous systems and relieve the pain which can affect the quality of life so much. I wish them all well in their research.”

Previous Patrons
Sir Norman Joseph Wisdom, OBE (4 February 1915 – 4 October 2010) RIP Old Chum!

“When I was approached to become Patron of the Neuropathy Trust, I was delighted to offer my support and endorsement to such a worthy cause. What has impressed me the most about this organisation is the positive and encouraging manner in which it is tackling the huge task that it has undertaken.
The Trust, which has been founded upon the motto ‘Carpe Diem’ (Seize the Day), is proving to be a tremendous source of comfort and inspiration to many thousands of people affected by Peripheral Neuropathy and associated neuropathic conditions. It is bringing together people from all over the world, offering hope and a sense of purpose and worth to families, friends and carers. It is helping to bridge communications between patients and the medical profession, for the benefit of all concerned.
This important work must be encouraged and sustained and I would urge you to join in with me in supporting this charity.”

http://neurocentre.com/community/?page_id=2

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments welcome but advertising your own service or product will unfortunately result in your comment not being published.